Monday, March 16, 2015

Mission Complete


The name's Hirschi. Sister Hirschi. Like the chocolate. 

 
Alaina with President and Sister Hintze in San Salvador
My days telling that joke are numbered. And the pity laughs that follow are numbered even fewer. 

 

And it would appear that this is it. 

The final bow. 

 

And as such, I leave you all my final epistle. (Alaina comes home this week!)

 

This week, I decided to work. 

Just like every other week. 

 

Because in the end, this week isn’t really much different than all the rest. 

Except that I got sick. And my companion effectively broke her foot. That’s a real low blow Satanas. Let’s fight fair. 

 

But no WORRIES. This ward is PILAS and we arranged some babysitters for my companion and some recently returned missionaries went out to work with me. Which was kinda fun, because they were all seasoned professionals. 

 

But isn’t it weird how time slips? 

 

And isn’t it cool how Heavenly Father blesses us? 

Because this week I think I had the most powerful lesson of my entire mission. 

 

With a woman named Va. We found her with her cousin--who has been receiving the missionary lessons for 10 years. At first we weren’t too sure about her, but I proved to be wrong. 

 

Like always. 

 

We taught her prophets, Christ’s church, and the restoration. And the spirit in her little home Friday night at 7pm was tangible. In tears she told us that she had been passing through some really hard times. Family times, that she knew God put us in her path and that she knew our message was good. 

 

And she wanted to learn more. 

 

I loved Va’s description of our message....something good. 

The mission is something good. It’s good for the people we serve, and it’s even better for the missionaries. 

 

digo yo. 

 

Because I think I’ve learned a lot of good things on my mission. 

 

I’ve learned that I don’t need material things to be happy. 

 

I’ve learned that you can focus all your time in others, and be happier than you’ve ever been. 

 

I’ve learned that the hard days always pass. And that they’re forgettable when the good days come. 

 

I’ve learned that eating food with your hands is totally acceptable in many countries. 

 

I’ve learned that for some people, life is literally about surviving. 

 

I’ve learned that it hurts a lot to leave people you have served among. 

 

I’ve learned that Elders are sometimes annoying, but sometimes really, really impressive. 

 

I’ve learned that the happiest people are those that put in practice the principles of the gospel of Jesus Christ, whether they’re aware of it or not. 

 

I’ve learned that the most successful people are those that put into practice the principles of the gospel of Jesus Christ. 

 

I’ve learned the family is the foundation of society. It is the foundation of identity. Without families, a community or country cannot function well. 

 

I’ve learned that Gods commandments always have a purpose. 

 

I’ve learned that Latinos are really fun. And some of my best friends in the whole wide world. And they have a lot of nifty money saving tricks up their sleeves. 

 

I’ve learned that people think differently than I do. 

 

I’ve learned that buses are really crappy transportation. 

 

I’ve learned that patience is a virtue. And that it comes from God. 

 

I’ve learn that you can be offended, but still respond graciously. 

 

I’ve learned that self-discipline is a Godly attribute. 

 

I’ve learned that people are FUNNY. I had never laughed so much in my life until I came to Central America.

 

I’ve learned that when you don’t feel like working, it’s the best time to work. And that if you just get out there and do it, you’ll feel like it.

 

I’ve learned that I love to write. 

 

I’ve learned that I love to meet people. And talk to lots of them. Because there are a lot of stories out there. 

 

I’ve learned that I love my family a lot. Especially at Christmas time. 

 

I’ve learned that you don’t make better friends anywhere else than in preaching the Gospel. 

 

I’ve learned that the promptings of the spirit really are still and small.

 

I’ve learned that Spanish is a really cool language. And that it’s hard at first, but then you get to the point where you don’t remember not speaking Spanish. 

 

 

I could keep this list going, and I could make it a lot better. But the clock is ticking, and I’ve learned that obedience is important. It might not change others, but it will change me. 

 

 

But I really like something that President Hintze has said to us since day one. 

 

I know who I am, and who I can be, if I choose. 

 

I know I can choose to be something better thanks to the gospel of Jesus Christ. Thanks to Christ himself.

 

I cannot express the profound gratitude that I feel for the past year and a half. It has been without doubt, the most trying, fun, exhausting, exciting, frustrating, spiritual time of my entire life. 

 

I have loved being here. 

I have loved meeting so many incredible people in Belize. 

And also in San Salvador. <they have inspired me and they have changed me!

 

I am so, so, so grateful to a loving Heavenly Father, who still speaks to us. Personally. I’m grateful for the pure gospel which was restored thanks to a young man who had a question. I’m grateful for the plan of happiness, and for our Savior, who overcame the two things we could not--death and sin. And weakness I might add.

 

I’m grateful that I was counted worthy to be a representative of Christ. In all I did, I tried to emulate what He would do. I know this time allowed me to become closer to Him, to focus on the things that matter most. I know I’m different. I know I’m better, and I know that it’s because of Him. 

 

So, thank you ALL for your incredible support during this past 18 months. I have been blessed beyond what I ever could have imagined. I have loved this mission beyond what I had ever imagined. It hurts to end this chapter, but I look forward to serving the Lord in many other ways. ASi que...

 

22 And now, after the many testimonies which have been given of him, this is the testimony, last of all, which we give of him: That he lives!

 

See you state side. 

Love, 

Hermana Hirschi

 

 

 

 



.

 

 

1 comment:

  1. Aaaahhhhhh… What a beautiful post. Welcome home! I was happy to see you in Zanna's pictures this week.

    ReplyDelete