Tuesday, June 24, 2014

WHEN?


I am grateful for yet another 7 days in the Holy Land of Belize. 

We are counting down the days to the next change and I am becoming...nervous. 

La cosa es--all I know is this little town.
Everyone I love--apart from my faithful family and friends in the United States of America--is here.

I CANT LEAVE. 

Panic attacks ensue each night when I lay me down to sleep. But, I will go where the Lord wants me to go. He knows better than I. I Have learned enough in my years to at the very least recognize that Heavenly Father always knows best. Woo. Ok. I can do this!

 

Well I had a rather harrowing experience this past week. I am still less than inclined to share it due to the traumatizing effects, but I am still typing so here she goes. 

 

One day after lunch, sister N and I decided to make our way back to the church to use the bathroom. I don’t know how many of you have ever been blessed to use the public or private bathrooms in any Central American location--but if you have you will know that it is not an experience to be sought or desired. 

 

As such, sister N and I went to use the church bathroom. In order to do so, we must unlock the gate from the outside, place the lock on the chain link fence, and enter. This seems to most a very normal sequence of events, and all was well--until sister N and I exited the building and found--to our horror--that during our time inside the church building, someone had relocked the gate from the outside. We were actually locked in the church. 

 

I tried to get my hands through the fence and to slip the key into the lock, but to no avail apart from severe pain. Frustrated and without enough provisions to last us the afternoon, we waited for a passer-by to deliver us from our holy prison. Upon seeing a young woman coming around the corner, I politely solicited her assistance. 

 

"Excuse me! hello! yes hello. We are wondering if you could unlock this gate for us. Currently we are unable to do so."

 

We were shortly freed. 

So actually I made that sound a lot more dramatic than it actually was, and I suffered zero anything. 

 

The rest of the week...hmmm well Wednesday night was our regular family home evening for the branch. It was a hit and we had nearly 60 attendees! We had decided on sports. The thing is--there are ZERO movie theatres in Belize. Belizeans do not like movies. They just love sports. They loooove futbol. This week we missionaries decided on playing volleyball. 

 

For the first hour, I facilitated and organized teams and sent them to the court at their time to play. Then...the missionaries decided to play the reigning team. 

 

I just.....cant.....NOT get a little excited when I play volleyball. Elder C, igual conmigo, likes to play. Within the first 60 seconds he had dove on the cement surface and destroyed his church pants. They ripped.... in...multiple places. Hahaha still laughing.

 

After all was said and done--we had a good time. And I met two brothers who remind me very much of Scott and Steve (Alaina’s dad and his twin brother-very competitive with each other). They got a little out of hand at church volleyball. 

 

Sister N is getting better at riding her bike. She only fell twice this week. I don’t know how, but I see her crash every time, even though I always ride in front of her. She is one tough little cookie. Like probably a molasses cookie. 

 

Ademas, The people we are teaching are moving right along. We have another baptism scheduled for this Saturday. It is has been amazing to see how the Lord has blessed us. Absolutely incredible. 

 

Well everyone. I look good, I feel good, and people like me. (my motto from the 5th grade making an incredible comeback). Haha but for real, I have never been so happy in my entire life. Nothing brings joy like striving to live the commandments. 

 

One of the people we are teaching had a recent experience in this fact. He relied on his friends wisdom and allowed them to dissuade him from standing strong in what he knew to be true and right. As a result he went to a party. As a result he took some drinks. As a result he got into a car with people with whom he should not have been, and ended up in a horrible accident. 

 

 Wherefore, my beloved brethren, I beseech of you in words of soberness that ye would repent, and come with full purpose of heart, and cleave unto God as he cleaveth unto you. And while his arm of mercy is extended towards you in the light of the day, harden not your hearts.

 

O be wise; what can I say more?

 

Really though. What more can I say? There is no substitute for following the commandments. Our friend is ok, but we spent a considerable amount of time nursing him back to mental and physical health. Gratefully this person has a newfound determination to trust in God and Gods law. 

 

O be wise. Read the scriptures. You'll feel good. You will feel happy. Choose the right! I love the Savior. I love this mission. It is the best thing I have ever done for myself or for others. 

 

I love you all. Hang loose. 

Love, 

Sista Hirschi

 

No comments:

Post a Comment