Thursday, June 5, 2014

Among other meanderings...


J's baptism
I don't really know what to say. I mean life in Belize is life in the fast track.

For example. This week I got locked out of my house. Not because I left the keys inside, because I would never make such an amateur mistake, but rather because a giant bolt in the top of the door was stuck. And the owner of the house never gave me keys to ANY of the four other doors that go into the house and did not have them in her possession.

So what did I do. I called Elder R, the senior missionary who used to be a cowboy. I did not know how, but I knew he would get me in. Elder R came to the rescue. We walked the perimeter of the house a few times. I outlined the situation on each of the locked doors. One in the back had the dead bolt unlocked, but had another lock on top. We made our way for that door. Elder R pushed on it a little bit. He rammed into it a little bit. We examined it a little bit. I said, "I’ve seen this in the movies.' And then he said, "I’ve seen this in the movies". He backed up for a running start and smashed that door right open with one solid kick. The plate was stripped right out of the wood and went flying!! Characteristic of myself, I screamed and laughed. And then Elder R and I high fived. It was a moment to be remembered. And he crossed something off of his bucket list!

Then one day, K was giving us a ride to our house from a family home evening. The car was having a bit of a hard time getting started, and then as we started moving I thought I saw a piece of the car ripping off of the vehicle. Mine eyes did not deceive me. Back on the road was a huge piece of the vehicle lying on the road. I would love to specifically name the part, but I have next to no  knowledge of cars. K just kept driving. His daughter and I...man did we laugh.

Sister N is great. I have never seen a tougher soldier, but she is still getting a handle on the whole bike thing. We went to visit someone on Saturday who happened to live on a huuuuuuuuuuuge hill. The person only lived about one-third down the hill. In other words, you must demonstrate great skill and mastery of your bicycle in order to ride and stop at the intended destination. I cautioned my compa, telling her to stand up in order to have greater control over the brakes. (We have the old-school back breaks that you had when you were 8). So I am nicely riding down at a slow pace--fish-tailing on occasion but in general exhibiting great expertise. Suddenly, Sister N shoots past me at somewhere around 75 mph. "SLOW DOWN N****!!!" I cry. To which she responds, "I CANT". In the next few moments I was left to watch  what I was sure would end in certain death for my poor little companion. She swerved a few times, but in the end, stayed atop her bicycle and rode all the way down the hill, nearly breaking the speed of sound. I am just glad she is alive. President would have been a little annoyed with me I imagine.

 
The work is going on. I looove teaching our English classes.  I think I have more friends in this little town than in any other town in the world. K and R continue to astound me with their desires to learn. They just want to know all there is to know about the gospel. J is basically MVP of our little branch.  I love that our little branch is growing!
.

And for my insights. Hmm. I guess this week I have been pondering about the reality of all these things that we teach....all these things that I believe and live. And I thought about pride for a sec. Pride is defined as pitting our will against God's. It makes itself manifest in envy, competitiveness, disobedience, it’s enmity, rebellion, and easily offended.
Basically it’s no good.


Pride is a sin that can readily be seen in others but is rarely admitted in ourselves. Most of us consider pride to be a sin of those on the top, such as the rich and the learned, looking down at the rest of us. (See 2 Ne. 9:42.) There is, however, a far more common ailment among us—and that is pride from the bottom looking up. It is manifest in so many ways, such as faultfinding, gossiping, backbiting, murmuring, living beyond our means, envying, coveting, withholding gratitude and praise that might lift another, and being unforgiving and jealous.
 
Thx President Spencer W Kimball. Allowing any of these feelings or behaviors will make us unhappy. Of that I testify.
 
Christ lives. I know He does. He is our ultimate example of humility. He was completely obedient to the Father, but in nowise cowardly or passive. He boldly asserted the truth at all time. How I desire to be more like Him.
 
Guys. Have a stellar week. Stay strong. Stand up for what is right, even if it means you are labeled as odd, outdated, bigoted, hateful, dumb, or strange or mad, flechone, or whatever else.
 
All my love.
Love Sista Hirschi
 
 


 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment