Tuesday, January 27, 2015

This week...



Alaina and her companion "Mag Dawg"


Hey friends and family and loved onessss. 

 

This week. We laughed. We cried. We fought. We made peace treaties. We ate pupusas. We did insanity. We baptized. 

 

Juan . You golden grandpa you. It was a precious baptism. It was the fastest I’d ever baptized an investigator from meeting them to helping them to make a covenant with our Heavenly Father! So that was fun! Juan is also the oldest person I’ve ever baptized! Coming in at 67 sweet years old. He is so tender guys. So loving and sweet and genuine. And he looooves to talk. I have learned a lot about El Salvador in 1968 this week. Did you know it cost only one colon to see a movie in 68?

 

Outrageous. 


Alaina with the Mission President and his wife, President and Sis Hintze
 
 

But yeah. Also I realized the other day that I have been teaching English for the large majority of my mission. And...I LOVE IT. I’ve decided that the two chapinas that were living with WILL LEARN English during their stay with me. In fact I’ve gotten a little Nazi about it. Every night after we work, I teach them and we read the Book of Mormon in English. Maybe the following conversation will help you understand why I love teaching them

 


“Do you guys know what the word butt means?” (hey, I have to teach them slang too or they will never understand!)

 

Sister M “......pizza??”

 

I lost my head. Good guess, but no. 

 

We have a lot of fun. 

 

We had a really neat experience on Monday. We were walking down the street...late to a lesson...as always. And some girls stopped us and were like...wait can you teach us?!?! And I was flabbergasted. People asking me to teach them the gospel?!? What a beautiful experience! Turns out one of the girls is deaf...I know absolutely nothing when it comes to sign. Good thing Magdawg took sign for like 8 years in high school. She can understand a lot. So I try really hard to communicate with the girl but I feel like a new missionary again because I have no idea what’s going on when we talk to her. But now I'm all fired up to learn sign when I go home. 
 

 

Theeennn. We taught a man named Mg. We talked about the Book of Mormon. The best book evaaa!! And he thought it was a bunch of facts about Joseph Smith...and I was like, I just told you it’s another testament of Jesus Christ! How did you confuse that? Ha-ha Sorry sometimes I get a little saucy. But I never say saucy things to investigators no worries. 

 

Anyways, we explained that we worship God our Father and Jesus Christ. But then the idea occurred to me, what better way to teach this principal than with the literature at question. I flipped open to Mosiah 5

 

 And under this head ye are made free, and there is no other head whereby ye can be made free. There is no other name given whereby salvation cometh; therefore, I would that ye should take upon you the name of Christ, all you that have entered into the covenant with God that ye should be obedient unto the end of your lives.

 

And then I was like, also look at this. 

 

26 And we talk of Christ, we rejoice in Christ, we preach of Christ, we prophesy of Christ, and we write according to our prophecies, that our children may know to what source they may look for a remission of their sins

 

Mg


was really touched by those scriptures. And we made some major break throughs.

 

And I love being a missionary and teaching the truth. I know this is the truth. Just study it out. Pray. I love the gospel guys. 

Be good! Follow the Savior. Nothing makes us less unhappy. Nothing brings greater joy. 

 

Love 

Hermana Hirschi

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment