Friday, February 28, 2014

Anger, Greed and Stupidity.


According to an elderly man we met with today, those are the three vices of the world. 

 Anger. 

Greed. 

Stupidity

 The third clearly being the most malicious. Also he said this--

'We cannot impart our wisdom to an idiot'. 

 
Cue self-induced choking to hide/disguise laughter. I couldn’t agree more with you old chap. That quote comes from leader of the Masons here in Belize. Although I’m not sure if we're teaching him or if he's teaching us. He is a fun guy no doubt. Maybe his punch-lines are poorly delivered but he gives it his all.

 Well, we weren’t attacked by American hippies this week, soooo. Basically, it was a great week! Nah but really I have very little to share with you all. Except that the antics of a crazy old man made my companion cry this week. He got down on one knee and we thought he would propose (this is J***, the man whose wife was in the hospital after we taught them a week or two ago) but he was in actuality yelling at us to inform us that he would not go to our church, ever. It was all very dramatic but I kept thinking the following: 'Get up off-a that floor. Get up off-a that floor...and dance!' *I hope you guys know that song* Regrettably he did not. 
 
It was really an awful experience. Sad more than anything else. 

 Which leads me to this. Sometimes as a missionary you struggle to think you are helping people. Sure. But the Lord blesses you. A lot. Everyday. I read this today and it is changing my life. 

 
Prayer is not a negotiation process. It is an alignment process. We don’t move God to our point of view. Prayer is less about changing our circumstances and more about changing us. It is about seeking His will and asking for His help to do what we need to do. When we align our will with Heavenly Father’s will, answers and spiritual power will flow more freely. Following this pattern allows us to pray with faith.

Elder Kevin Pearson--Ensign 2013

 And then I realized my prayers are the worst. But prayer is so beautiful and so powerful and I for one take it for granted. I know that God’s way is always the best way. Not popular opinion and not necessarily just what makes sense to us. That's why we always have to PRAYand ask. 

 
 We did have some really wonderful lessons this week too. One with a young man named A** (19) who is anxious to change his life. I just wish I could articulate how everything I have seen in a short 5 months has instilled in me such a conviction that the principles of the gospel are the only way to truth and happiness. P**** is just drumming right along. He is reading the Book of Mormon but he talks for literally 68 hours every time we see him which makes teaching a challenge something terrible. 

 
One time I woke up in the morning and there was a dead gecko on our floor being devoured by ants. I was severely disgusted at this display of animal cruelty. 

 Sorry for the scattered ideas in this email. I love you all. I especially love my family. Family life is the key to happiness. I love the Gospel and I know second only to the atonement...the restoration of the gospel of Jesus Christ through the prophet Joseph Smith is the greatest gift God has given his children. I testify I testify I testify. IT IS THE TRUTH. I'll testify of the Savior to my grave. It’s the most important knowledge we have in this life, and the most important relationship we have is with Him. 
 

Until next week, 

Sister Hirschi

 
What’s up? I’m preachy! 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment