Wednesday, April 9, 2014

All my dreams came true; through the power of General Conference.


Question.
 

Do you know God is the same yesterday today and forever?

Do you know He has called prophets since the beginning of man on earth?...beginning with Adam?

Do you know He continues to lead and guide his children on the earth through a prophet?

Do you know the prophet is the mouth piece of the Lord and that he spoke to all the world this last weekend in the bi-annual general conference??

Do you know you can ask God if this is true and He will respond with a personal answer?

 
Because that should knock your socks right off. 

They should be lying on the floor. Right now. 

No longer on your feet. 

 

It was a fantastic week in Belize. 

It began with a flood in our house, which actually hurt the level of optimism I felt about the week...but many events which I will soon unfold rebuilt this week's ratings. 

Some guys were power washing our roof and didn’t bother to say anything about the matter. They did it to find the holes in our roof…because they knew there were holes in our roof. Translation? The water ends up in our house destroying many precious materialistic things.  

I’m over it. 

 In other news, I want you guys to come with me for one sec to see how it is that I introduce myself to strangers on the street. 

 
''hi. how are you?"

"I’m good thanks."

"Great brother! My name is Sister Hirschi"

"Sister what?"

"Sister Hirschi--like the chocolate?"

"oh....ok...ha. haha. hahahaha."

 

Do you have any idea how many times I have rehearsed that joke. So many times that I hate myself for it. It disgusts me but I continue to use it. Do you know why? Because the Belizeans laugh at it every time. It never fails. So while it now makes me physically ill, I press on. 

 

In other news, our weekly excursions to ruins continue. This week presented a new adventure...GUATEMALA GENTE MALA. We went to Guatemala!! so I can add another country to my list. You all know you have the same list. 

 

I made the following observations about Guatemala and the ruin we visited, namely Yahxa. 

 

1. Guatemalan Spanish is infinitely more beautiful than Belizean Spanish. 

2. Guatemala is a beautiful country. 

3. it was hot. 

4. I like ruins but I liked the jungle more. 

5. I am getting bored of ruins. once you've seen 8 piles of organized rocks, you've seen them all. 

6. Yahxa was pretty cool though, because it was a complete city, totally excavated. It took us hours to walk around each temple. The views from the top were spectacular.

 

I have gotten smarter. I took an umbrella with me. The result?? I suffered dehydration and great humiliation, but I did not burn.  

I consider this a victory. 
 

Well apart from all the funnies, there was General conference this week, and I soaked in every word. Among my favorites were the talks given by President Uchtdorf. Also this week Sis R and I continued to teach our young friend RY about the gospel of Jesus Christ. He is actually Andrews age! (Alaina’s 17 year old brother)

 

Last night we asked RY what he would do if he got an answer from God that what we were teaching him was true, that Christ's church is on the earth today--same as He organized when He was here. RY responded, 'I would go to church, and then I would tell my friends about it and I would do what you guys do and preach the gospel.'

 
Have I ever been more impressed with spiritual insight or maturity from one so young? no.  Have I ever seen such great faith in Belize? no. Is RY going to change his life and the lives of his family and friends? of course. The gospel of Jesus Christ is the power to change.

 
 “True doctrine, understood, changes attitudes and behavior. The study of the doctrines of the gospel will improve behavior quicker than a study of behavior will improve behavior. Preoccupation with unworthy behavior can lead to unworthy behavior. That is why we stress so forcefully the study of the doctrines of the gospel.”

 

We have living prophets whose words are the words of the Lord. I testify that God lives and that he is gathering his elect and that we all need the words of the prophets in our lives to motivate and uplift us. We can all speak more boldly and with more understanding about the restored truths of the gospel. 

 
I have a lot of fav moments from general conference. Go here-- lds.org --to read and watch those talks. Study them. Pray about them. How I love them!

 

I love you all, but above all I love our Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ. 

I am so grateful to be here.

 

Happy April, 

Sista Hirschi

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment