Thursday, April 17, 2014


I'm sorry… Did anyone else put together the fact that burrito means little donkey??!?!?!?!? I cannot stop laughing, especially because the Latina that lives with me calls people burros allllll the time. But sometimes it’s more fun in English. Give 'er a spin. Call someone a little donkey. And then repent. 

 

So another fast-paced week in Belize. But let us begin with some shout-outs. 

 

1. SCOTT J.  You dirty dog you. I got your letter this week. I LOVED reading your letter, it was such a privilege. Congrats on getting engaged! Please send me an announcement. You are the man. And please, other people- send me mail. (contact me at shirsc@yahoo.com for the address)

 

2. NATE AND JULIE !!!!!!Wow you guys are married. I love you guys. Congrats. I hear the wedding was a smashing success. You two. Tear it up in married land ok?? Love you both. 

 

3. There were changes this week. And my heart is bleeding because I lost my dearly-beloved companion Sister R. She was moved to El Salvador. We had a lot of precious moments together. In fact, we were so synchronized near the end that we rode our bikes side by side, and dismounted the same side, at the same time, in the exact same fashion. Truly, we were one flesh. And truly, I cried to see her go. But God needs her somewhere else. And He needs me in Belize. Belize and me forever you guys. 

 

Apart from that, this week my north face back pack died. I am mourning the loss of this faithful friend who went through 3 years of BYU with me and 7 months of mission life. But actually I am hanging onto her. The bottom may be blown out, but I am placing my items inside her very precariously and she lives on. 

 

Additionally, I cut my hair. Bad idea? Sure. Luckily, one of our great investigators works at a salon and fixed it for me. Initially, I literally appeared to have a mane identical to a lions. Our investigator R*** spared no pains in letting me know it looked crazy. 

 

So my new companion is Sister H and she will be going home soon. But we are teaching a young man named J****. End of our first lesson he says, ‘‘So...what does one have to do in order to serve a mission like you guys?'' and we said, ''get baptized''. And he said, ''Ok. Sounds good''. In short, J**** is awesome. And he will bet getting baptized very soon. As will R***.
 

 

I learned a lot this week. True to mission form. And my zone split in half! We are now a baby zone. I don’t know what my bit is about this week. Maybe that God's ways are higher than ours. And His standards are perfection. His church will require the best of us--nothing less makes any sense. In fact He requires more than our best--which is possible--but only through Christ. So here is a classic missionary scripture that I love more every day. 

 

12 Yea, I know that I am nothing; as to my strength I am weak;therefore I will not boast of myself, but I will boast  of my God,for in his strength I can do all things; yea, behold, many mightymiracles we have wrought in this land, for which we will praise hisname forever.

 

Sending my love always from Belize. Change is rough, but new adventures are smooth. 

 

Go to church and say your prayers. And listen to bachata music. And Enrique Iglesias singing in Spanish. It will transform your life.

 

Sista Hirschi

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment