Monday, September 22, 2014

You Crazy Cats-the Chikunguya's back!


 

Wha di go ahn bway??

que tal como estan¿

What up.

Those are the three languages that I am partially fluent in. Cool. Moving on. I am a little bit of a liar this week. I promised you guys the top ten of my new area and the truth is that I did NOT have time to meditate on that. I am profusely sorry and I swear by the hairs of my chinney chin chin that next week I WILL produce the top ten list. Just...patience.

So my love affair with this area is steadily deepening. This place...this ghetto town...is so COOL. Mostly because the people are bumpin...even though I feel inadequate in their language still. But we can understand each other always. Sometimes I employ the use of a childhood favorite-charades-but if we’re clear we’re clear.

It was a stupendous week! Absolutely stupendous. The Lord has been merciful with us. We enjoyed the visit of a one Elder Alonso, a general authority from the 70 (A leader in the LDS church). And he blew my MIND. In every sense of which something can be blown. His testimony and faith inspired me, his words cut to my very soul and moved me, and his machetes (missionary slang for reproofs or reprimands) made me feel like the smallest missionary on the planet--albeit DETERMINED to rise up and be better. So it rocked.

In other news, I hit one year. Know what I did? I bought Ben and Jerry´s from Walmart for 7 dollars, or in other words 50% of a missionary’s monthly budget, and ate it. Half Baked. What else? It tasted good. We also had Pupusas and took a few pictures. Next week pictures mom I prooomise. Time time time. A missionary’s worst enemy.

Also, I am still recovering from the Chikungunya. ugghhhh. Last Monday I woke up with arthritis in my knees, or so I thought. Upon doing some furthering questioning, I learned that the side effects of the chikungunya can last for up to TWO YEARS. whaaaaa. Okkkkk. So I walk around like the hunch back of Notre Dame with a lot of pain whenever I’ve been sitting for long periods of time. hmmm. Mom, do me a favor and google this stinking disease and the lifelong effects I will suffer!! Curse malfunctioning mosquito nets. Imma sue. (Of course I looked this up when she first came down with Chikungunya, and she’s right.  She may have pain for up to 2 years.  Older people can suffer lifelong effects. –Alaina’s mom)

In other news, our zone was asked to sing a -special- musical number in the multizone conference with Elder Alonso. Hahaha. So. Latinos and Americans. We are different. I played the piano and we chose a fancy pants version of “Come thou Fount” but the missionaries sang the lyrics of “O My Father”. I was pretty nervous about the whole ordeal . But it turned out really well! hahaha. I miss playing the piano.

MAN sometimes I really hate not having sufficient time to tell you guys what happens.

So, check out this scripture.

 And under this head ye are made free, and there is no other head whereby ye can be made free. There is no other name given whereby salvation cometh; therefore, I would that ye should take upon you the name of Christ, all you that have entered into the covenant with God that ye should be obedient unto the end of your lives.  Mosiah 5.8

I know that covenants with our Heavenly Father ties us to Him and increase our faith! I know He lives! I love testifying of Him every day! I love focusing myself entirely on this work. It brings a joy that I have never found in things of the world. No worldly success can replicate the joy of the gospel of Jesus Christ.

Love you all!!

Peace.

Hermana Hirschi

No comments:

Post a Comment